The ideal candidate will have a great work ethic while working as part of a team installing underground telecommunications infrastructure throughout Ontario. The Groundperson position will include general labour tasks such as: Hand Digging and Raking, Laying Sod, Paving & Lockstone, Prepping Conduit and Drill Tooling, Fueling/Greasing Equipment, Traffic Control, Fibre Optic Cable Installation and any other tasks assigned by the Foreman.
- Place and remove cabling
- Tag cable and record all process steps
- Safely and properly vent, open, clear and enter manholes
- Provide manual labour assisting construction crews, trades, foremen, etc.
- Ensure appropriate tools are transported to the worksite as directed
- Safely operate basic hand and power tools including, but not limited to: skill saws, grinders, impact wrench, come-a-longs, jacks, etc.
- Perform digging and trenching, demolition and waste site removal, loading/unloading trucks, and clean work trucks and work sites
- 2+ years construction jobsite experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Previous Pool installation, landscaping, paving, cement, local cable TV company or mining experience would be an asset
- Experience and/or training for heavy equipment operation (i.e. skid steer, mini excavator) is an asset
- Telecommunications industry experience is an asset
- Must have a Valid DZ Driver’s License
- Powerline hazard awareness training is an asset
- CSTS – Construction safety certificate is an asset
- Current First Aid certification is an asset
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Have a basic understanding of underground work and traffic control
- Understanding of tools to supply and assist construction crews
- Work outdoors – perhaps in some extreme climates
- Travel and work in various locations across Canada
- Accommodate different work schedules and shifts based on project requirements
- Perform physically demanding work (able to lift 50+ pounds)
- Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Be honest, hard-working and trustworthy
- Must follow safe work practices and abide by all safety rules and regulations
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and collaboratively with other departments
What we’re looking for
Successful candidates must exhibit QTC’s values of trust, teamwork, and accountability – “roll up your sleeve” attitude hiring all levels within field telecom workers (splicers, civil groundspersons, operators, telecom linespersons etc.) & office employees.
Why Join Us?
- Market competitive employment package, RRSP and group benefits
- Learning and development opportunities in a rapid growth environment with best in class craft training center
- Career advancement opportunities, working towards a build up
- Be part of an organization that will be the leader and one of the largest Canadian Telecom Organization
Quanta Telecom is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage of the hiring process, please let us know.